- Cambridge, UK
We’re looking for a talented Character Artist to join our team. As a company we produce a wide spectrum of subject matter from stunningly photoreal to beautifully stylised, so populating our game worlds is always challenging and interesting. As a Character Artist in our exceptional and experienced team you will be building the cast for the next generation of Frontier games.
Please note that this is a full-time, onsite role at our studio in Cambridge, UK. We are not looking for applicants who wish to work from home, or on a freelance basis.
- Create high-fidelity in-game characters using Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop and Substance
- Understand the character being created; their narrative, motivations and gameplay potential and weave that into your work
- Collaborate with fellow Character Artists to maintain the highest quality throughout development; on budget, on time and in the style.
- A good team player with a willingness to work collaboratively, willingly taking on feedback and guidance from the rest of the team
- Enthusiastic, proactive attitude
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work within an established art style.
Qualifications & Experience
- Exceptional level of high-polygon character modelling in ZBrush or Mudbox (ZBrush preferred)
- Extensive knowledge of 3D packages such as Maya, 3ds Max (Maya preferred)
- Proven ability across all aspect of character modelling, including anatomical, cloth and hard-surface modelling
- Excellent Photoshop and Substance Painter texturing skills, targeting physically based rendering
- Familiarity with the entire real-time character creation pipeline: high-poly sculpting, retopology, UV mapping, texture baking, texture creation, setting up and exporting to game
- Awareness of the importance of mesh topology, to ensure that character models deform well when animated
- Experience with PBR and real-time engines
- Understanding of best working practices in terms of LOD creation and optimisation.
- An Art degree or relevant game art course is highly desirable
- Flair for interpreting concept art, turning character sketches into 3D models that accurately capture the spirit of the concept
- Adaptable attitude to working across a breadth of art styles, from high-detail realism to cartoon stylisation.